Tips to Avoid Sales Tax being Charged on your Purchasing Card
What to do when making a purchase?
• Prior to making the purchase, notify the clerk that the purchase is tax exempt.
• Verify that no sales tax was charged on your receipt prior to leaving the store.
• Prior to making the purchase, notify the vendor that the purchase is tax exempt.
• “Valley City State University” should be on the first line of the “Bill to Address”.
• Utilize higher education links (Example: Dell) whenever possible.
• When not utilizing a higher education link, watch for a check box to indicate the purchase is tax exempt and utilize this option before completing the purchase.
What to do when sales tax has been charged?
• If tax was charged, contact the vendor immediately for a refund to your credit card. The cardholder is responsible for getting the tax refunded. Document on the receipt/invoice the date the vendor was contacted.
• Initially you will be charged sales tax. Always put “Valley City State University” on the first line of the billing address.
• After you place your order you will obtain an order number.
Email Amazon at firstname.lastname@example.org and provide them with your order number and tax exempt certificate
• Refund may take 3-5 days to show up on your card.
• Amazon phone number: 866-216-1072